Min menu


What to do in the event of a car accident?

What to do in the event of a car accident?

 When a road accident occurs, the drivers involved have an obligation to take certain actions You must remain at the scene of the accident, even if the collision is minor. This will allow you to see the damage or provide help to people who need it. Otherwise, you could have to pay a fine or even be charged with a felony.

Alert the emergency services if there are any injuries

If a person's life is in danger, you must come to their aid: you can give them physical help, if you are able, or call the emergency services.

You should also contact the police, even if the injuries appear to be minor. They will be responsible for drawing up the accident report which will be sent to the Société de assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).

Special rules apply if you have injured or killed an animal.

Exchange information with the other driver

If no one is injured, you don't have to contact the police. However, you must exchange certain information with the other person involved in the accident. If you don't, you could be fined.

The following information should be noted:

the name and address of the driver,

the driver's license number,

the name and address of the vehicle owner entered in the vehicle registration certificate,

the vehicle's license plate number,

the information appearing on the insurance certificate.

You can complete an amicable report. It is a form that allows you to describe the accident and record all important information.

To obtain a free amicable report, you can:

order a copy on the Info assurance website,

download the application of the Groupement des assureurs automobiles ,

ask your private insurer.

Completing an amicable report does not mean that you declare yourself responsible for the accident. Only your insurer can determine your liability. Even the police called to the scene of the accident will not do it.

In the event of a collision with an unoccupied car or an object

Can't reach the owner or the owner is not close to the scene of the accident? You must contact the nearest police station when you hit something like an unoccupied car or a traffic sign, for example. The police will then take the required information.